Tuesday 25 January 2011

YEAR 1 - Computer Applications - 5 Influencial Designers preview!

Visuals done by
For me, design goes from product design to fictionary design (books are designed with a purpose, art is designed (although you could argue 'avant guarde' tries to evade this'). The people whom I have chosen may not be seen as 'true designers' however their work has impacted on their targeted fanbase, which to me is part of design. The designers are beyond the break!



Hayao Miyazaki is a japanese manga artist and animator. The reason why I have chosen him for one of my main influencial designers is that his work is thoughtful as well as imaginative; his movies such as Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away are beautifully animated. His manga, although not as well known as his animation, has also been sleeper hits, with the main manga that springs to mind being  NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind. Miyazaki is part of the Studio Ghibli company.

A scene from Princess Mononoke
 



Akira Toriyama is also a Japanese manga artist, as well as a concept artist. Akira Toriyama is well known for his manga, in particular Dragonball and it's follow on productions (Dragonball Z, Dragonball GT etc). Dragonball is one of the most influencial animations in the west, it being a big example to other anime which has been carried over from Japan which could have possibly not have adapted well over here if it weren't for Dragonball. The main reason that Toriyama is in my list of influencial designers is that his work were a part of my childhood. His work has also branched out from manga, leading to him having work in character design for video games. His artwork style is unique and can be spotted anywhere, something that I would like to achieve one day.
Chrono Trigger is one of the games in which Toriyama's design and art style is implemented.
















From Roald Dahl's Matilda
Quentin Blake is an illustrator. Many know him for his illustrations for Roald Dahl. His illustrations, for me, always made reading books so much more interesting when I was growing up. His distinctive style is a big influence on me, as it shows that simplicity can be charming and equally as effective as technical, highly detailed works. He's also on the list to show that I don't have a preference towards one culture's art :p. Quentin Blake has a huge legacy, and is memorable throughout the ages.





Louise Kamara is a UK based textile designer. Although not as influencial or well-renown as the other illustrators that I have chosen as part of my 5 designers, I find her influencing on a realistic scale on what I could, and my fellow students, achieve after we have finished our degrees. I have chosen Louise to be my representitive of 'indie' UK artists and designers, as she is the founder of the 'eco design fair'. The eco design fair is a small 'retail platform' for UK artists to sell and promote their sustainable wares. Obiviously the fact that her work is sustainable is a deciding choice in being influenced by her, but also that environmentally-aware products can be produced in a way that is not limited by it's genre is impressive. Having a Middlesex degree also brings her closer to home in terms of my own situation. Hopefully I will be able to contact her to ask some questions about her work and design principles. I really wanted to include artists in my influences that came from my 'sovereign state' / country, which is why I wish to approach these artists in this way.


Jamie Hewlett is


One more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment